Catalogue of Posts

Friday, March 6, 2015

How I Tuned my Ukulele

      A while back I bought myself a
      ukulele.

      But, I strung it myself.

      However, on referring back to my
      ukulele handbook,
      it would seem that I've strung it
      in a completely different way to the
      usual.
   
      But, I strung it the way it made
      sense in my head.
     
      So, what does that mean about me?

      As the way that I've done it,
      makes it sound to me a bit like the
      traditional Japanese stringed
      instrument.

      Does genre come from the different
      ways people's minds are tuned?
     
      In that case, I must be traditional
      "something". I don't know what that
      is yet.

   
      Anyway,

      Keyboard
      I've used my keyboard to tune from,
      as it won't go out of tune like a piano,
      and hence, is more reliable. As well as
      being able to see all the notes (keys) at
      the same time.

                                                                                          Ukulele
                                                                                          This ukulele is a tenor ukulele,
                                                                                          as far as I know.
                                                                                          (This is all knew to me)

                                                                                          Strings
                                                                                          I used clear nylon soprano ukulele
                                                                                          strings,
                                                                                          which I was told would still be ok
                                                                                          on the tenor ukulele.

                                                                                          Order of stringing
                                                                                          As I'm right handed, I strung from
                                                                                            -  left to right of the ukulele
                                                                                                 (if you are facing it)
                                                                                            -  from thickest string to thinnest
                                                                                                string -
                                                                                                    .032,  .030,  .022,  .020

                                                                                          Tuning
                                                                                          I thought I was tuning it the way it
                                                                                          was supposed to be tuned,
                                                                                          but in the end,
                                                                                          I settled on how the 4 open strings
                                                                                          sounded ok to me.

                                                                                          Then, I went back to my keyboard
                                                                                          and found out what those notes were.

                                                                                          As you can see in the images above,
                                                                                          the 4 open strings are tuned to -
                                                                               
                                                                                                B      D      F      G#

                                                                                          left to right, if you are facing the
                                                                                          ukulele.

                                                                                          The C in the image,
                                                                                          is Middle C.


(c) Katherine Stuart 2015                                                               
                                                                                                                                                   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment