Catalogue of Posts

Saturday, June 3, 2017

Xandra's Game (7)


"The Stargate is Open!"


Having thought on my situation,
I went back to Rose and explained,
"I don't think I can do this,"
holding the piece of paper
that I had brought with me,
with the maths problem on it
that I was working on all those years ago.
"Why do you think that?" Rose asked,
full of heartfelt concern.
"I don't know," I replied,
 exasperated and unsure of myself,
appreciating that she wasn't going to take no for an answer.
"Classic, give up before I even start," I continued.
"I would like you to have a go," Rose said, giving me another big hug.
"Alright," I said, melting under Rose's compassion.

So, I went back to my spot, a little distant from everyone else,
away from the sound of their talking, as I couldn't concentrate,
to ponder my problem.

And, as Carrie explained to all, how to go through the Stargate,
I frantically worked on my writing.

"You are coming, aren't you?"
I looked up from my work, to see a new face that I didn't know.
"Yes, of course," I replied, not sounding too convincing, but meaning it nevertheless.
"Let me know when you're going."
"Ok, then," Zoe responded, not sounding too convincing either.

So, I went back to my maths problem.

I was so engrossed in solving this problem,
that I didn't realise until much later, that the talking had stopped.
I looked up, and they had all gone!

The Stargate was open!

I didn't move,
as from my semi-secluded spot, I saw,
that across the hole on the other side of the Stargate,
a man sat crouching amongst the rocks.
He looked familiar.
Then he came down, and another man coming along that ledge, joined him.
I knew this man! It was the orc in disguise!
They quickly went to, and in through the Stargate.

This made me hesitate even more!

Had they seen me, and,
should I follow at a distance, I wondered?

It was then that I noticed,
that a light flurry of snow had covered the area up to and around the Stargate.
"How unusual," I thought.
It looked striking against the reddish colour of the rocks.
"Are they iron-ore?" I wondered,
"And why does that make a difference?"
"And what does this maths problem have to do with any of this?"


text (c) Katherine Stuart 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment