Catalogue of Posts

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Art - Building Up a Picture


Choose a simple scene that you would like to paint.

I chose the beach.
I had to paint this scene a number of times,
before I was able to produce the result above,
using -

The Concept of Layering
This is where brush strokes overlap previous brush strokes,
or overlay the previous brush strokes entirely.

(This was outlined in the previous worksheet:: Art - Edges)

To build up this picture, I followed these steps -

1 - Sky
      Starting at the top,
      I worked down to the horizon,
      fading the colour with more water.

2 - Beach
      Starting at the bottom,
      I worked up to the wave line,
      and beyond (to go under the sea colour)
      fading the colour with water.

3 - Sea
      I started at the horizon
      working downwards,    
      fading the colour with water over the sand colour,
      so that the sand colour could be seen,  
      and down to the wave line.
   
4 - Wave foam
      I dobbed, placed small dots,
      of the colour mixed with some water,
      along the wave edge.


(c) Katherine Stuart 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment