Catalogue of Posts

Friday, February 21, 2014

Behind the Scenes - Photography Area #2


The Photography Area

This is what I'm using for the photography area.
It's my dressing-table,
but it's a useful surface
for setting up for my overhead photos.












What I do,
is fold up a single bed sheet,
and lay it over the mirror
and the table surface,
as shown here.

I use a sheet that is of a neutral type colour,
such as the beige, here.
It's dark enough to make a contrast
with the white of the paper of the subject
that I'm photographing.
If your subject was a dark colour,
you could use a lighter coloured sheet / piece of
fabric to contrast with it,
if you wanted to and you're including that in your photo.


Then I place two light sources,
which are two desk lamps,
at either end of the table surface.

And place the subject to be
photographed
in the middle.

Then I turn the lamps on and
shine them onto the subject
to get the best illumination,
without it being too bright
and getting a reflection.
                                                          It took a little bit of trial and error

                                                                                       to get the right positions
                                                                                       that produce a good image
                                                                                       on my camera.
                                                                                       One lamp is also noticeably brighter
                                                                                       than the other one,
                                                                                       so I shone it to one side of the subject
                                                                                       and not onto it,
                                                                                       as I did with the other one,
                                                                                       as you can see above.


(c) Katherine Stuart 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment