The story is about a man who owns a piece of land in country Victoria, Australia, and marries a girl, who comes to live on the farm. But, he leaves to fight in the First World War with his friends, eventhough he didn't have to.
When he comes back, of course he has many trauma issues, and is pressured to stay in a hospital for a time for therapy.
But, while he's away, there's a heavy rainstorm and his wife, who was coming to see him, disappears, no-one knowing where she had gone to.
One big factor seems to be the family of Irish descent who run the nearby town.
Another big factor seems to be the ownership of land.
Because a window of connection if you like, opened up in my mind concerning the house that I was renting when I was pregnant with my second child, and where I was living when she was born (in hospital). My first child was also there with me. The house was on the ourskirts of the town of Charters Towers, a historic gold mining town in North Queensland, Australia. So it was semi-rural.
Maybe it's something to do with the house.
Also Charters Towers has a strong Irish connection. If you've seen the film "The Irishman", which was filmed in the town, you can understand why.
Plus, the town was heavily involved in World War Two, being host to many US personnel, there being numerous airstrips built especially in the area. I don't know about the involvment in World War One. However, Breaker Morant was famously brought to trial in the town, to do with his actions in the Boer War, if I remember correctly.
Now this is a mystery to me.
There must be something to bring to light here. It's got me wondering.
But, big things move slowly .........
(c) Katherine Stuart 2026
Dochas Books Film
No comments:
Post a Comment