Catalogue of Posts

Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Screenplay Format #6 - Writing the Story

 
This is the method that I used to write the story –
 
 
1.  Not reading the Book beforehand
I knew that “Khaki Town” would be a good story
(as all of Judy Nunn’s books are).
So, I didn’t read it before writing the screenplay.
Otherwise, this would have doubled the work load,
and that would cause a great deal of stress.
 
 
2.  Read one Chapter at a time
 
 
3.  Writing the Main Thread
At the same time as reading the chapter,
I wrote the Main Thread in the Script.
And also, any relevant details in the Script.
 
This may sound tedious,
but, it enables you to write thoroughly enough once,
without doubling the work load,
which cuts down on that great deal of stress.
 
 
4.  Writing the Lists
When I finished the chapter,
I would read back through the chapter
and enter relevant details in each of the lists.
If possible, only re-reading once.
But, if there was a large amount of information
for one particular list,
to re-read and fill in just for that list.
 
 
5.  Tidying Up
There will also be a bit of tidying up, throughout,
for bits and pieces.
 
 
6.  Time Frame
I didn’t set myself a deadline.
If you do, your work will be under developed.
Each project has its own energy and pace.
Let the project unwind itself fully.
For those working to a deadline, I can only say,
that this way of doing things has to change.
Pace is usually established in the beginning.
So, from that you can calculate a rough estimate
of how long the project will take.

            ie. If it takes 1 month to do 1 chapter,
                 then it may take 10 months
                 to do a book of 10 chapters
 
This project took me 15 months to do.
But, it is for a 3+ hour feature film.
Which gives you an idea
of how long things can take.
 
 
7.  Pacing Myself
I did a certain amount on most days,
but, didn’t let it take over my life !!
You still have to eat, sleep, have a wash,
and have other interests    :)   
 
 
See - following posts for Main Thread and List methods



(c) Katherine Stuart 2021
Dochas Books Film

No comments:

Post a Comment